Family - Food - Home

Yorkshire Pudding

The first time I remember tasting these little,  golden-brown puffs of delight was with my Nana. She prepared the Sunday roast (usually lamb) with a matter-of-fact style. I don't know if cooking was a pleasure for her, but she always seemed to do traditional English & Irish fare with ease. 
The Yorkshire Pud, as it is better known is always best if eaten straight from the oven and smothered with gravy (homemade gravy of course).




 I never had the chance to make these with my Nana, but was fortunate enough to be given the recipe from a work friend many years ago. We were unpacking boxes of cosmetics at the time, when the conversation came up. This recipe is from her Nana...I'd like to think it's the same one my Grandmother used. I wrote it on a piece of cardboard that I tore from one of the cosmetic boxes and I've kept it with all my other little scribbled down recipes ever since.


Mr 3P loves these protein rich dumplings....they taste even better with farm fresh eggs, laid that day, if you can get them. 

So I made them for him this week when we had a roast pork, potatoes and steamed winter veggies.

And I thought of my Nana...and how much I miss her


Yorkshire Pudding Recipe
Ingredients

1 cup plain flour
3 eggs
pinch of salt
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup water
(oil for cooking)

Mix all of the ingredients (except the oil) together ...whisk to remove lumps.
Add a few drops of oil into each cup of a muffin tin and place in the oven at 210º C to heat for 7 minutes.

Carefully remove from the oven and pour batter into each cup about 2/3 full.

Return to the oven and cook for 13-15 mins at 210ºC until risen, golden and puffy.

Serve immediately with your roast and gravy.

2 comments

  1. Another trick is to let the batter sit for at least an hour before baking.

    We had Yorkies with our Chicken dinner on Saturday...nothing like a hot traditional English dinner on a cold Melbourne day!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Please feel free to leave one.